The Pushkinskaya-10 Art Center
Even though this well-known St. Petersburg art center is more than 20 years old, it’s still on the cutting edge of contemporary art.
The story of Pushkinskaya-10 began in 1989 when a group of independent artists and musicians moved into an abandoned building on Pushkinskaya Street and founded the «Free Culture» Society. Today, Pushkinskaya-10 consists of art galleries, museums, concert venues, clubs, and studios for about 40 artists and musicians. It also houses Russia’s first museum of nonconformist art, which contains a unique collection of «unofficial» art from the second half of the 20th Century.
Pushkinskaya-10 is a member of numerous international organizations and represents Russian contemporary art at many international art exhibitions and festivals. Works by Pushkinskaya-10 artists can be found in museums throughout Russia, Europe and the United States.
The art center is a place for creative people with bold ideas. Visitors can enjoy the art, buy works they like, and learn to harness their own creativity.
On last Saturday in June, Pushkinskaya-10 celebrates its birthday with a festival of contemporary art.
– The John Lennon Temple of Love, Peace and Music. Founded by Russia’s No. 1 Beatles fan, Kolya Vasin, the office contains a unique, diverse collection of Beatles paraphernalia, collected over 50 years. Open every Friday.
– The Art Bureau. A combined book store and gallery where artists conduct master classes for the public. Sells unique items and accessories.
– The Art League Gallery. The site of exhibitions, music and poetry nights, and other creative events. Curated by Pushkinskaya-10 President Yuly Rybakov.
– The Gallery of Experimental Sound («GEZ-21»). A small concert hall for people with esoteric tastes. Featuring free-jazz, noise, and post-rock concerts, as well as ethnic dancing.
– The New Academy of Fine Arts Museum. Featuring exhibits by contemporary artists from St. Petersburg, Moscow, and Europe.
– Pushkinskaya-10 Minihotel. An 8-room minihotel on the the 5th floor of Pushkinskaya-10. Every room has its own design and atmosphere. Prices range from 1000 to 8000 rubles per night. Tel. +7 (812) 740 71 19
Address: St.Petersburg, 10 Pushkinskaya Street (enter through the arch at 53 Ligovsky Prospekt)
Metro station: Ploshchad Vosstania
Tel.: +7 (812) 764-53-71
Wed.-Sun. Open 4 p.m. – 8 p.m.
Sat. Private showings and previews
Translation by Jonathan Earle