Piskaryovskoe Memorial Cemetery
Piskaryovskoe Memorial Cemetery is the location of mass graves of victims and defenders of the city who lost their lives in Leningrad’s blockade (St. Petersburg was called Leningrad from 1924 to 1991). It is listed in the Guinness World Records as the largest Cemetery in the world (the area counts 28 hectares) that emerged during the Second World War.
The siege of Leningrad lasted almost 900 days. More than a million civilians perished from bombing, hunger and cold weather during this time, and just as many soldiers-defenders were killed. Three to ten thousand people were buried there every day.
About half a million Leningrad residents are buried in the mass graves of Piskaryovskoe Cemetery.
The Memorial was opened some years after the world war on May, 9 1960.
Everyday, classical music can be heard at the Cemetery and the solemn ceremonies of laying wreaths to the “Motherland” monument are held here each year on the Memorial dates; January 27, May 8, June 22 and September 8.
You can view photos and newsreels of the blockade times in the Cemetery Museum, along with accessing an electronic archive with information on residents of Leningrad buried here.
The Museum Pavilion is open daily from 09.00 a.m. to 06.00 p.m.
The Memorial Cemetery is open daily from 09.00 a.m. to 06.00 p.m. during autumn-winter period, and from 09.00 a.m. to 09.00 p.m. in spring and summer.
The entrance is free; the guide service is also free but operates only by prior arrangements!
Location: St. Petersburg, pr. Nepokorennih, 72
The nearest metro stations are “Pl. Muzhestva” and “Academicheskaya”.
Directions: take a bus № 123, 138 or 80, from the metro station “Ploschad’ Muzhestva”, and a bus № 178 or 61 from the metro station “Academicheskaya”.
Phone number of the Tour desk: +7812 297-5716
Phone number of the archive: +7812 298-3861
Look through a memorial e-book of the victims of Leningrad’s blockade on this site
Translation by Evgenya Gavrilova
Edited by Joan Akatukunda