You haven’t been to Saint-Petersburg, but browsing our blog? Guess, you may consider visiting it then…no matter, if it’s your first encounter or you’re a regular visitor here – you’re welcome to drive, sail, fly here any time! There’s still a lot you may discover about this glorious city, so, start your adventure now!
Here’re only a few of the facts attracting millions of tourists every year:
- St. Petersburg is the most northern city in the world with a population of over 1 million people
- The city is famous for its deepest metro. The average depth of Petersburg metro stations is about 80 meters
- St.Petersburg is located at the mouth of the Neva River on 44 islands connected by 342 bridges – 21 of those are movable and are absolutely spectacular during the navigation period
- the city climate is represented by all four seasons – from genuine Russian cold and snowy winter to hot sunny summer with white nights
- St.Petersburg tram network is one of the longest in the world – 500km!
- the historical center of St. Petersburg and its related sites are a part of UNESCO World Heritage;
- The Hermitage (Winter Palace), the main museum of the city, hosts one of the largest and most significant collections of art and artifacts in the world
- the gorgeous architecture of the city features masterpieces of Jean-Baptiste Leblond, Carlo Rossi, Francesko Rastrelli, Giacomo Quarenghi, Charles Cameron, Auguste de Montferrand and others
- St. Petersburg enjoys the presence of the Mariinsky Theatre – one of the most famous theatres in the world, with over 100 different theaters offering entertainment of all possible genres
- St. Petersburg is the birthplace of Alexander Pushkin, Nikolai Gogol, Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Anna Akhmatova, Vladimir Nabokov to name only a few most famous classics of Russian literature
- St. Petersburg hosts lots of global events every year – International Economic Forum, ballet festival “Dance Open”, European Night of Museums, music festivals “St. Petersburg Palaces” and “Stars of White Nights”, alumni festival “Scarlet Sails”, theatre festival “Baltic House”, tennis tournament “St. Petersburg Open”, motorboat World Championship “Formula 1” and others.
Northern Venice, the City of White Nights, Northern Palmira, Cultural Capital of Russia – neither of the names can convey the charm of this young megapolis.
And what was the most stunning thing about your visiting St. Petersburg?
We welcome your notes, pictures and comments left at our pages in Google+ and Facebook – share your experience with those who still dream of visiting this amazing city!
Translation by Svetlana Serebryakova